Maciej UlińskiECTS: 6
THE IDEAS OF MAN AND WOMAN IN THE PHILOSOPHICAL THOUGHT AND REAL LIFE (print)Course description:
The purpose of this course is to examine ideas about the nature of men/women relations in the thought of famous philosophers and thinkers as wll as prominent political, social and religious writers since ancient times up to now. the main lines ofdiscussion will be developed along the essentialism/constructivism nad equality/difference oppositions. Special attention will be paid to new feminist ideology and masculinist reaction to it. The subjects of discussions will include such one as for example, sexual politics politics, idea of out of gender education, the theory of 'different voice', feminist ethics, equility ideas, the future of fatherhood, so called crisis of masculinity.
- Plato; The Republic (chapter V).
- J.J. Rousseau; Emil.
- I.St. Mill; Tje Subjection of Women.
- Simone de Beauvoir; The Second Sex.
- C. Gilligan; In a Different Voices.
- N. Noddings; Starting at Home.
- W. Farrel; The Nyth of Male Power
- seven reading assignments (each second week)
Course is given on individual tutorial basis.