Katarzyna Leszczyńska prof. AGHECTS: 6
Sociology of gender – concepts, theories, research (print)Course description:
The main aim of the lecture is the analysis of the theories, conceptions and main empirical researchin sociology concerning gender category, including varied levels of gender phenomena: micro, meso and macrostructural. During the seminar we are going to interpret and deliberate classical and contemporary sociological theories defining gender as: social roles, relations and symbolic interactions (particularly theory of doing gender), structures and institutions, and also performances. We are going to analyze important sociological research concerning various fields and spaces in which processes of productionand reproduction takes a place. Specifically, we are going to concentrate on family relations, house work, organizations and systems of pay, media and culture, sexuality and, last but not least, religions.
- Introduction to the sociology of gender. Gender as a theoretical concept, relative and active category. Intersectional approach in gender research.
- Selective eyes of sociology to gender issues. Femininity and masculinity in classical sociological theories.
- Changes in Western societies and the beginning of gender studies. Second wave of feminism.
- Main categories in sociology of gender – sex and gender, sex roles, gender practices, gender stratification, gender institutions and organizations.
- Gender in micro scale and gendered person – socialization and constructing of gender identity. Self and gender agency.
- Gender in interactions. Doing gender as a process of production and reproduction of femininity and masculinity.
- Gendered institutions – gendering practices and practising gender in professional organizations. Gendered jobs and workers. Inequality and social structure.
- Men, masculinities and sociology of gender.
- Sexuality and bodies. Sexual selves and gender.
- Gender in context. Media, popular culture. Gender, ideology and consumption.
- Acker Joan. 1990. Hierarchies, Jobs, Bodies: A Theory of Gendered Organizations, „Gender & Society” no2, vol 4: 139–158.
- Acker, Joan. 2006. Inequality Regimes. Gender, Class, and Race in Organizations,„Gender & Society” 20, p. 441–464.
- Brickell, Chris. 2006. The Sociological Construction of Gender and Sexuality, „Sociological Review” 1, p. 87-113.
- Butler Judith. 2004. Undoing Gender, New York: Routledge.
- Chafetz Saltzman, Janet. 2006. Handbook of the sociology of gender, Texas: A&M University, College Station.
- Connel Raewyn, 2006, Masculinities, Cambridge: Polity.
- Connel Raewyn, 2009, Gender. Short Introduction, Cornwall: Polity Press.
- Connell Raewyn. 2006. Glass Ceilings or Gendered Institutions? Mapping the Gender Regimes of Public Sector Worksites. "Public Administration Review", November, p. 837–849.
- Holmes Mary, 2007, What is Gender. Sociological Approaches, Los Angeles, London, New Delhi, Singapore: Sage Publications.
- Martin Patricia Yancey. 1983. Advancement for Women in Hierarchical Organizations: A Multilevel Analysis of Problems and Prospects, „The Journal of Applied Behavioral Science” 19(1): 19–33.
- Martin Patricia Yancey. 2004. Gender As Social Institution, „Social Forces” no.4, vol.82: 1249–1273.
- Martin Patricia Yancey. 2006. Practising Gender at Work: Further Thoughts on Reflexivity, „Gender, Work and Organization” no.3, vol.13: 254–276,
- Myra Marx Ferree, Judith Lorber, Beth B. Hess, Revisioning gender, Altamira, Walnut Creek, Lanham, New York, Oxford
- RahmanMomin, Jackson Stevi. 2010. Gender and Sexuality. Sociological Approach, Cambridge, Malden: Polity Press
- Richardson Diane, Victoria Robinson (ed.), Introducing. Gender and Women’s Studies, London: Palgrave Macmillan
- Ridgeway Cecilia L. 2008. Framed Before We Know It: How Gender Shapes Social Relations, „Gender & Society” no. 2, vol. 23: 145–160.
- Ridgeway Cecilia L., and Shelley J, Correll. 2004. Unpacking the Gender System: A Theoretical Perspective on Gender Beliefs and Social Relations, „Gender & Society”, no. 18: 510–531,
- Risman Barbara J. 2004. Gender As a Social Structure: Theory Wrestling with Activism, „Gender & Society” no. 4, vol.18: 429–450.
- Risman Barbara J. 2011. Gender as Structure or Trump Card?„Journal of Family Theory & Review” no. 1, vol.3: 18–22.
- Risman Barbara J., G. Davis. 2013. From sex roles to gender structure,„Current Sociology”, http://csi.sagepub.com/cgi/doi/10.1177/0011392113479315 (16 marca 2013).
- Skeggs, Beverley. 2008. The dirty history of feminism and sociology: or the war of conceptual attrition, „The Sociological Review” 4, p. 670-690.
- Sydie, R. A. 1994. Sex and the sociological fathers, „Canadian Review of Sociology and. Anthropology” 2, p. 117-138.
- Sullins Paul D. 2006. Gender and Religion: Deconstructing Universality, Constructing Complexity, „American Journal of Sociology” no. 3, vol.112: 838–880.
- West, Candace; Don H. Zimmerman. 1987. Doing Gender,„Gender and Society”no. 2, vol.1, p. 125-151.
- Wharton Amy S. 2006. The Sociology of Gender, An Introduction to Theory and Research, Blackwell Publishing, Malden-Oxford.
Assignments of readings and essay
Course is given on individual tutorial basis.