Janusz MuchaECTS: 6
Key words: traditional cultures; modern cultures; postmodern cultures; Polish culture; ethnicity.
SOCIO-CULTURAL ANTHROPOLOGY (print)Course description:
This is the introductory course which covers only the basics of the subject. The students will be advised to find (with the help of the instructor) some available in Krakow literature on Polish culture and society, look around in Poland, and write an essay on some aspects of Polish culture. The course is devoted to the following topics:
1. Modernist and postmodern approach to social and cultural anthropology.
2. Central issues in social and cultural anthropology.
3. Issues in anthropogenesis.
4. Family, marriage and kinship.
5. Gender and society.
6. Age and society.
7. Symbolic systems. Culture and language.
8. Religion and magic.
9. Rituals, myths and legends.
10. Culture and individua.
11. Politics as a subject of anthropology.
12. Social and cultural change.
13. Modern world as a subject of anthropology.
14. Ethnicity as a subject of anthropology.
15. “Anthropology at home”. Conclusions.
- Harris, Marvin. 1985. CULTURE, PEOPLE, NATURE. AN INTRODUCTION TO GENERAL ANTHROPOLOGY. Cambridge et al.: Harper.
- Hastrup, Kirstyen and Peter Hervik (eds.). 1994. SOCIAL EXPERIENCE AND ANTHROPOLOGICAL KNOWLEDGE. London and New York: Routledge.
- Hicks, David and Margaret A. Gwynne. 1994. CULTRAL ANTHROPOLOGY. New York: Harper/Collins.
- Howard, Michael C. 1993. CONTEMPORARY CULTURAL ANTHROPOLOGY. New York: Harper/Collins.
- Goddard, Victoria A., Josep R. Llobera and Cris Shore (eds.). 1994. THE ANTHROPOLOGY OF EUROPE. Oxford and Providence: Berg.
- Kivisto, Peter. 2002. MULTICULTURALISM IN A GLOBAL SOCIETY. Oxford: Blackwell.
- Kuper, Adam (ed.). 1992. CONCEPTUALIZING SOCIETY. London and New York: Routldge.
- Peoples, James and Garrick Bailey. 1988. HUMANITY. AN INTRODUCTION TO CULTURAL ANTHROPOLOGY. St. Paul et al.: West Publishing Company.
- Szczepański, Marek S. (ed.). 1997. ETHNIC MINORITIES AND ETHNIC MAJORITY. SOCIOLOGICAL STUDIES OF ETHNIC RELATIONS IN POLAND. Katowice: Uniwersytet Śląski.
Weekly assignments of readings and essay
Course is given on individual tutorial basis.